Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2001 09:42:34 -0800 (PST)
From: Mary S Stephenson <mss@interchange.ubc.ca>
To: xxxx
Subject: Virus Hoax Making the Rounds

Hi,

This morning a few of you have forwarded messages to me regarding a
"new" virus reported in a message like the one below:

>Subject: NEW VIRUS THREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
>New Virus
>
>A new virus has just been discovered that has been classified by
>Microsoft as the most destructive ever! This virus was discovered
>yesterday afternoon by McAfee and no vaccine has yet been developed. This
>virus simply destroys Sector Zero from the hard disk, where vital
>information for its functioning are stored. This virus acts in the
>following manner: >
[snip]

THIS IS A HOAX and has been around for several months.  Like most virus
hoaxes the warning messages seem to emerge from time to time and are
spread across the internet by well-meaning people.

Here is some accurate information on the hoax:

######################
A Virtual Card for You virus

A typical variation of the original Good Times hoax virus alert. It claims
your computer will suffer a horrible death if you read "a virtual card for
you" with your eyeballs.

Fact: you just read "a virtual card for you" with your eyeballs, but your
computer didn't self-destruct. Need we say more?

One variant of this hoax claims "Microsoft and McAfee" announced the
alert, and it's "THE MOST DESTRUCTIVE OF ALL TIMES!!!!", and "THERE IS
STILL NOT DEVELOPED A VACCINE!!!!" Naturally, it urges you to "PLEASE,
DISTRIBUTE TO THE LARGEST NUMBER OF PEOPLE!!!!"
################

If you'd like more information go
to: http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/virtual.card.hoax.html

Another good site for virus hoax information is:

http://www.Vmyths.com/index.cfm

Of course REAL viruses are out there, and it is vital you protect your
computer by installing and then maintaining good anti-virus software, but
always check out one of the sites above [or go to the Norton main page for
hoaxes: http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/hoax.html before you forward any
messages you receive regarding viruses [unless, of course, they come from
me ;>].

Cheers,

Susie