shelving

Several years ago the shelving in our storage facility pulled out from the
wall and hurt an employee terribly. She suffered a bruised heart and broken
ribs. Thankfully, she was an athletic person and was able to get out from
under the weight of the books. Someone else might have been killed.

In the long run, the collection was put into boxes on pallets and no one
has access to the collection at all anymore. This has been a continuing
problem for years. It has cost money in interlibrary loans fees, storage
fees for unusable books and the collection will probably never be used.

I agree with Daniel Sokolow. Please be very careful ordering shelving. Make
sure the supplier is reputable and that the person who installs the
shelving is experienced with a library book collection. Many times people
are hired because they do general shelving work and they don't have the
experience to understand the weight load of books in a library or archives.

Clare Bunce
Archivist
Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory
1 Bungtown Road