Re: Romper Room

This does not answer the original question about ROMPER ROOM but gives some insight into aspects raised by Cathi Carmack's response.  The following brief history explains the local versus standard syndication aspects and is from http://www.tvparty.com/lostromper.html

HISTORY:
"Romper Room was a preschooler that ran in almost every major  market in the United States and was broadcast from 1954 until the late Seventies.  It was sold to stations in two ways - in standard syndication and also sold like a franchise with a different local host in each city (150 in all). The series was developed by Bert and Nancy Claster who trained  many of the local hosts.

The syndicated version was originally filmed in Baltimore, MD (later moving to Chicago) and starred Miss Nancy (Claster). She wasn't originally slated to host, but the woman they hired backed out at the last minute and Nancy Claster stepped into the role and into TV history.  She was replaced in 1964 by the Claster's daughter, Miss Sally."

>>> Cathi Carmack <ccarmack@MAIL.STATE.TN.US> 03/09/2001 8:45:40 AM >>>
Jackie:

My memory of Romper Room is that the show existed in many markets around the country, but was produced locally and with different hosts (hostesses?). I grew up in the Washington, D.C. area, but when we'd visit my grandparents in Tennessee I'd still see Romper Room, but with local kids and a different "Miss Whoever" in charge. You may have to check with the film/video archives of the local station in each market that produced a Romper Room.  Hope someone else may be able to fill in more details on this.

Good luck!
Cathi

Cathi Carmack
Archival Technical Services