Corporate Archive - Case Studies, Help on Getting Started

Hi all!  I am new to this Listserv.

I am interested in reading about or talking with others who have set
up a special collections archive for a Foundation or corporation.
The company I work for is privately owned and is looking into
establishing an archive about the owner/founder--life story,
achievements & awards, social & business contributions. The
collection would encompass a wide variety of objects, including
photographs, plaques, video and audio, newspaper & magazine
articles, correspondence (both private & business), some art work,
etc. There will be a display area specifically designed to showcase
portions of the collection at different times. We are considering
digitizing much of the collection for display purposes, as well as
preserving and storing the original objects. Othe ritems in the
collection may be on display at various locations throughout the
corporation and would need to be tracked as to where they are
currently located and how long they are at a given location.

I am particularly interested in the following aspects:
         The planning stages: how long it took, how much it cost,
what to do first, second, etc.
         What software is available for cataloging and tracking the
collection (may include barcoding of the original objects)
         Any lessons learned--what not to do as well as what to do.

I would appreciate hearing from anyone who can provide information,
share their experience, or provide any pointers on where I might
find articles on similar projects.

Thanks,
Vicki McComb