Re: What do you tell a 9-year old?

Here at the University at Albany we hold the papers of Marcia Brown,
Caldecott Award winning children's picture book illustrator.  I regularly
do a presentation for a local first grade class on Ms Brown three Caldecott
books.  Their teacher does a unit every year on the Caldecott Awards.  The
children are really fascinated with the following material, especially when
I relate it back to the text and illustrations in the printed copy of the
three books:

        - various manuscripts from the first to final draft
        - book dummies from the early to the later versions
        - sketchbooks and individual rough drawings
        - color separations
        - wood cuts
        - final art - loose and framed

The children really "hang" on the idea of building a book and want to get
close to the "neat stuff" we have on Ms Brown's work.  Our focus is not on
the career of the archivist or manuscripts curator but rather on the
treasures we can save in our archives.  The children think it's exciting
that we've saved all of this material and - who knows - maybe we are
inspiring some "budding" archivists.

Best of luck with your presentation Peter.

Dorothy Christiansen, Head
M.E. Grenander Dept. of Special Collections and Archives
New Library Building - LE352, University at Albany, SUNY
1400 Washington Avenue, Albany, NY  12222
Tel: 518-437-3931     Fax: 518-437-3930
Email: dchris@csc.albany.edu