Re: Dissertations

Hi I am the Digital Documents Librarian and Archivist at the New Jersey
Institute of Technology.  We are embarking on a program here to digitize
our existing Theses & Dissertations and to begin to develop policies and
procedures for having students turn in theor T&D's electronically.  We are
in the process of becoming members on the Networked Digital Library of
Theses and Dissertations (NDLTD) http://www.ndltd.org/. I recommend that you
check this site out, it is very useful.

Our program will include the removal of all current T&D's from the general
stacks and place them into secure storage as they are "1st editions" and as
the majority of them are Theses maybe they are one of a kind.  These will be
available by request only.  Even then when the request is made, the T or D
will be scanned and mounted digitally through our web site for the patron's
access.

All incoming T&D's will be scanned and digitally mounted through our
website.  We are in the process of installing and testing our scanners and
hope to have our January T&D's up by the end of the semester.  The copy that
is the library's copy will be on archival quality paper and stored in an
archival box with the existing T&D's.

We will still be binding Advisor, Department, and Student copies.  In
addition, Dissertations (after scanning) will be sent to UMI for
microfilming and Indexing & Abstracting.

For the future, we intend to have a pilot program in place by Spring 2002
with a Department on campus here to have their T&D's created and transmitted
electronically, eventually leading to all students doing this.  This is the
case at Virginia Tech which hosts the NDLTD.  We will still then print a
copy of the T or D on archival quality paper and store it.  Further, UMI now
accepts T&D electronically for processing.

Next week (3/22 -3/24) ETD 2001 is being held at Cal Tech in Pasadena.  This
is the annual conference sponsorded by the NDLTD.

I Hope this is of help --

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The librarian will have to be a more active participant in staving off
"infochaos." If the traditional librarian has been conceived as a   figure
at home in the discreet silences and cautious dealings of a Henry James
novel, now perhaps the right model will be found in James Fenimore Cooper or
the Star Wars films: something between the pathfinder Natty Bumppo and the
Jedi knight."

"Avatars of the Word"   James J. O'Donnell, Ph.D., 1998
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Daniel W. Noonan, MLS
Digital Documents Librarian & Archives
Robert W. Van Houten Library
New Jersey Institute of Technology
Central Avenue Building (Room 1006)
323 Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Boulevard
Newark, NJ 07102-1982
mailto:dnoonan@adm.njit.edu
Phone 973/596-5235
Fax 973/643-5601