National Arts Archive

I thought members of this list would be interested in this article.
Jody Georgeson
Telecommunications History Group
Denver, Colorado

PHILANTHROPY NEWS DIGEST
March 13, 2001    Volume 7, Issue 11

Princeton Receives Grant from Pew Charitable Trusts to Create National Arts
Archive

Princeton University has received a $1.9 million grant from the
Philadelphia-based Pew Charitable Trusts (http://www.pewtrusts.com/) to
create a national data archive for policy and the arts. The new repository --
the country's first electronic archive of research data on the arts and
culture -- will be made available to policymakers, researchers, journalists,
and the public through the Internet.

"Better information leads to better decision-making in such fields as
education, health, and social services. But there is a long history of
barriers to reliable data
for research about the arts and culture," said Stanley N. Katz, director of
Princeton's Center for Arts and Cultural Policy Studies, which will work with
the school's library to implement the project.

Those barriers include the time and money required to identify and gather
data stored at research organizations throughout the United States; technical
compatibility issues; and the lack of a coordinated method of publicizing
findings or integrating different studies.

The new archive will help eliminate those barriers by providing a wide range
of data on policy-relevant facets of the arts and culture in the U.S.;
storing that information in an electronic format for easy retrieval and
analysis; and actively disseminating it to students, researchers, and
policymakers.

"Policy is only as good as the information and research that underlies it,"
said Stephen K. Urice, the program officer in charge of Pew's national
culture initiative.
"If we want to ensure that arts and culture are bolstered by informed
policy-making, we must have comprehensive and credible data to make our case
convincingly."

The archive is expected to begin operating in the spring of 2002.

"Princeton Receives Grant to Create National Data Archive for Policy and the
Arts."  Pew Charitable Trusts Press  Release 3/7/2001
 http://www.pewtrusts.com/Frame.cfm?Framesource=News/NewsPressRel.cfm