Re: capturing websites

Can users navigate through a web site on a computer in your reading room or online if you save files as pdf rather than htm?

Sally

>>> Joan Lowe <jlowe@AFSC.ORG> 03/15/01 09:37am >>>
We save the files as pdf for three reasons: Number one, because it gives us
an exact replica of the page including the graphics, which we wouldn't get
unless we also saved each individual graphic file in the same directory. Our
optical storage media (like all that I know about) does not store files in
directories but rather scattered throughout the media, so we could not
retrieve these files satisfactorily. The html can certainly be fetched, but
we will get only the text and no graphics. Since it is, after all, a web
page, the graphics are important. The second reason is, because pdf is what
we use when we email simple requests -- nice, neat, photo clear image in a
portable document file -- MUCH smaller than a jpeg file -- and we send
only one pdf file, pdq, rather than 5 or 10 or more graphical files and an
html. The reader is free and readily accessible to whoever wants it.

Joan Lowe
American Friends Service Committee
Philadelphia, PA  19102