Re: capturing websites

John Howard Fowler said:

>Likewise, the problem of "scatter" through the server is confusing.  The
>relative address of the links should work whether they are scattered or
>if they are gathered together in one folder.

Not all Web sites are constructed using relative links.  In such instances,
the root of the Web site must match the root of the server to which they are
captured.

> If you fetch HTML documents and they have hot links to jpeg docs,
> shouldn't the browser you use also fetch those jpegs, reproducing the
> entire page as it was originally constituted?

If you go to save the images and text using the browsers save function, it
will ask you which directory to save things to.  It does not attempt to
preserve the original directory structure.

Now, I hope Ms. Lowe's system does not require her to do all this manually.
 Because the browser knows through the HTML file the source of the images
relative to the HTML, it's conceivable that an automated retrieval program
could reconstitute the directory structure.