Summary of replies: Use of furniture polish

Thanks to all who replied both on- and off-list to my query about the use of
cleaning products on reading room and processing tables. I should first
apologize for not clarifying something-- The question was based on a concern
that documents and rare books may come into contact with damaging chemicals.
The furniture itself is of the faux-walnut plastic inlay variety, not exactly
candidates for the Antiques Road Show. :)

That said, most respondents recommended avoiding any petroleum-based products
or solvents which may, over time, cause a film or build-up on the surface and
migrate to the documents. For routine cleaning, dry-dusting with lint-free,
chemical-free cloths available from archival suppliers is best. Dry-cleaning
sponges are good, also. To remove pencil marks, scuffs, etc, from a plastic or
Formica tabletop surface, warm water and elbow grease are fine.

Again, thanks to all who replied.

David "Mr. Handy Household Hints" McCartney

David McCartney
University Archivist
The University of Iowa Libraries
Dept. of Special Collections