WWI Photo Question

Hello Everyone!

Knowing the high level of expertise of all you listers, I have a question related to photos.  Any and all help would be appreciated!  A person on our college staff knows someone who has several WWI photos which measure five feet long by six inches high.  As luck would have it, the photos are rolled up.  When the gentleman tried to unroll one of them, the emulsion started cracking pretty bad.  He could really use some advice as to how to proceed.

The photo collection that I deal with is fairly young and in relatively good shape, the oldest image we have dates from 1965.  Oh...those fabulous sixties!!!!!  Anyway, I have yet to encounter a situation such as that stated above.

Thanks in advance!

Lori Sprague
Archivist
Parkland College