Re: primary source literature

Hi, I hope I'm not being redundant - I am not a subscriber to this listserv. I would like to mention the NYS Archives publication Consider the Source: Historical Records in the Classroom. It is a how-to manual for teachers on conducting research, making copies of documents, and using them in classrooms. It was published in 1995, has won three national awards, with a third printing in the near future (20,000 copies already circulating). There is an easy to read very practical how-to section, and twenty-six historical records dating from 1790s to 1960s with learning activities and worksheets. There is a very important ingredient that has made this publication so popular - it was created with teachers totally involved in the process. If you would like to order a copy, please check our website for an order form. It costs $10, no shipping or handling fees.

We are also just about to complete another book for teachers titled Erie Canal: New York's Gift to the Nation - A Document-Based Teacher Resource. It contains 29 historical background essays, almost 100 documents, 40 learning activities including three DBQs. It will be available from Cobblestone Publishing Company in April. Consider the Source is our basic manual to using documents in classrooms and the Erie Canal book takes it all a step further by concentrating on a NY topic that effected most of the nation. Julie
>>> "Bergeron, Paul" <BergeronP@CI.NASHUA.NH.US> 03/20/01 09:33AM >>>
I have a 93-page work-in-progress titled "A Handbook for Using Primary
Sources in the Curriculum" which I will forward to you as an attachment. (If
other listserv members wish to review this paper, I would be happy to
forward a copy to you as well and would welcome feedback, comments and
suggestions. Just drop me an e-mail request.)

You may also want to examine Filamentality [
<http://www.kn.pacbell.com/wired/fil/> http://www.kn.pacbell.com/wired/fil/]
which is a great tool for educators who want to build their own on-line
lesson activity using primary sources from a number of different locations.

I haven't found a lot of material specifically identified by "grade
appropriateness."  Most likely you will have to find material that is
relative to the grade-schoolers' curriculum and build an activity that meets
your course goals.  Good luck!

Paul R. Bergeron
City Clerk
229 Main Street