From: Archives & Archivists [mailto:ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU]On
Behalf Of Logan, Kevin
Sent: Wednesday, March 21, 2001 12:36 PM
To: ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU
Subject: use of postcards on a commercial website

Dear Listserv folk:

I have a question that is a variation on one that has been addressed on this
list before.  We have been approached by a local realtor who wants to use
copies of some of the postcards in our local postcard collection on her web
site to promote her real estate agency.  Some of the postcards were
published before 1923 and are in the public domain.  Many were published
between 1923 and 1978 and lack any kind of copyright notice, which would
appear to also put them in the public domain.

Aside from copyright concerns, I have a general unease about the
appropriateness of commercial use of materials from our collection.  I would
like to know how other repositories handle such requests.  Assuming that we
restrict the realtor to postcards that are clearly in the public domain, are
we within our rights to charge a "use fee" for her use of the postcards on
her website?  What would be an appropriate fee?  Should we charge a per
image fee or a flat fee?

Any assistance and/or advice would be greatly appreciated.  I will gladly
summarize responses for the list.

Kevin Logan
Special Collections Librarian
Lakeland (FL) Public Library