Re: Why do we stay with it?

My first degree and love is history.  I enjoy being able to identify
historical resources that should be saved, working with the donors,
obtaining the collections, processing, cataloging, and take satisfaction
in seeing a historical resource completed, and even more, used.

Every day is a challenge -- different opportunities, demands, jobs,
etc.   I would hate a job where each task was exactly the same,
or assembly line work, I think.

My work affects real people and I see the results, whether it be
the genealogists who finds that elusive relative in some church
records that I saved, or the history fair student who wins first
prize after practically living in our reading room.

There's a permanence to our work that brings a satisfaction to
our soul.   Every person wonders why we are here, and what
comes after death.  Everyone yearns for something permanent,
something impervious to "change" ... that's why donors like to
see their names on buildings, etc.   Collections and archives DO
change, but most archivists have left their mark in seeing that
research and historical materials will survive long after we leave
this life.

The thrill of discovery helps us enjoy being the individual who
finds an important memo, photograph, or other record and helps
make that record known and available to others.   There's also the
thrill of being on the front-line of history.

The above feelings are why we stay with it -- through politics and
policy makers, through bean counters and budget paperwork,
and yes, through RWAs too.

Dean

Dean DeBolt
University Librarian
Special Collections and West Florida Archives
John C. Pace Library
University of West Florida
11000 University Parkway
Pensacola, FL  32514-5750
Tele:  850-474-2213;   Fax:  850-474-3338