Re: Proper carpeting for mobile shelving decking

Here are a couple of ideas to consider which I have picked up from various
sources over the years.  As I don't claim expertise in this area, I welcome
about such things.

While wool can have some inherent problems (primarily infestation
susceptibility and high price), it has the advantage of being a good passive
"humidity regulator," i.e., it absorbs a lot of water vapor and then
releases it slowly.  In other words, if you are trying to hold humidity at a
given level, it helps remove water from the room air when the humidity is
high and then helps gradually re-humidify the air as the level drops.

Polyurethane is a good wood sealant to stop off-gassing.  Since the final
appearance of you plywood decking isn't important, I think you could apply
the urethane to it and (I presume) it wouldn't inhibit the flame-retardant
property.  Use two coats of the polyurethane, letting each dry thoroughly
and sanding the first coat lightly before applying the second one.

Catherine Bruck
University Archivist
Illinois Institute of Technology
Paul V. Galvin Library