Urban Archives, Temple U, Phila. photo web site

Please forgive cross-postings.

The Urban Archives, Paley Library, Temple Univesity has a "work in progress"
photo website at http://diamond.temple.edu:81/search/

We have been scanning, cataloging, and building our website over the past 6
months with funds provided by an IMLS grant and support from a generous donor.
The site includes archival images from The George D. McDowell Philadelphia
Evening Bulletin Collection (formerly The Philadelphia Evening Bulletin
Collection.  The Bulletin was a major paper that existed and served the
Philadelphia area from 1847 - Dec 1981.  The images depict the history of
Philadelphia and many newsworthy major events, people and sites. The
collection includes over 5 million images in the forms of original prints,
negatives and slides.  Because of the overwhelming number of images in the
collection, some criteria had to be put into place to begin the scanning
project. We began by selecting images of neighborhoods, then we included
related topics such as playgrounds and streets. Hence, the website includes
images that depict neighborhoods and related scenes.

Please take a look at the website, share the URL with colleagues, friends,
students, scholars, researchers and all who may be interested in the history
of Philadelphia and give us your feedback, particularly regarding:

*  how easy was it to navigate
*  how comprehensive are the catalog records
*  clarity of images

Thanks for any input you may provide.

Margaret Jerrido,Archivist & Head of
Urban Archives, Paley Library
Temple University, 1210 W. Berks Street
Philadelphia, PA  19122
voice (215/204-6639); fax (215/204-3681)
e-mail  mj@astro.temple.edu