Re: Investment scam reappears

In a message dated 03/30/2001 9:51:53 AM Eastern Standard Time,
cedwards@USGS.GOV writes:

>                      Isaac John
>                      <tom_opopo@ya        To:
>                      hoo.com>             christina.egli@uni-konstanz.de
>                                           cc:
>                      03/29/2001           Subject:
>                      11:26 PM

I don't see any indication that this is associated with the Archives LISTSERV
in any way. I did not receive it.

I do notice that, since this LISTSERV is set to return mail to the sender
instead of the list, you will get the out-of-office messages sent directly to
you.
Subj:    Out of Office AutoReply: Spam
Date:   03/30/2001 4:42:05 AM Eastern Standard Time
From:   sarah.duffield@c-of-e.org.uk (Sarah Duffield)
To: Mwcpc6@AOL.COM (Michael Csontos)

I am away from the office until 3rd April
Sarah Duffield

 This could be another way in which your email address is added to Spam mail
databases as it passes through the systems.

It apparently is very hard for people using Outlook Express to determine
where mail is coming from. This may explain the complaints and draconian
measures taken to prevent Spam on Listservs.

I did find two other postings of the "Herbal-V" Spam which did indeed come
through the reflector. I checked my archive of this LISTSERV back to February
15 and could find no other off-topic post.  I have no filters set to block
any type of mail.

If list members are having problems with Spam, I don't see how changing this
Listserv's parameters will help.

I really wish this reflector could be changed back to the "reply to list"
mode instead of the "reply to sender" bulletin board mode.  There was much
more interesting content then (I am not interested in job postings or meeting
announcements).

Mike Csontos