a query

Hello Archive and Archivists listservers,

The Community Arts Network (CAN) Project would like to ask you to share
your knowledge of any archival collections pertaining to the field of
community-based art making.

In brief the CAN Project promotes information exchange, research and
critical dialogue within the field of community-based arts, that is, art
made as a voice and a force within a specific community of place, spirit,
or tradition.  The CAN project is designed and managed by a partnership of
Art in the Public Interest, a national not for profit organization, and the
Virginia Tech Department of Theatre Arts.  The CAN Project currently
consists of the CAN web site which may be visited at
<www.communityarts.net>.

It is our intention to build an archive for materials pertaining to the
field of community-based art making.  As a preliminary step on our way to
building this archive, we desire to know of archival collections already in
existence in the field.

We want to avoid redundancy.  We want to avoid un-necessary re-invention of
the wheel.  We feel that the history of community-based art in the 20th
Century would best be located in a few, well supported and well
administered collections.  Simply said, we are interested in building such
a collection, if no other exists or, if we are among many, to work with the
others to make wise, useful decisions in cooperation with overall needs of
the field.

Please direct your mail to Erica Yerkey, CAN Project administrative
assistant at eyerkey@vt.edu.

The results of this query will be summarized and posted.

In thanks,

Erica Yerkey

Please take a moment and visit the Community Arts Network (CAN) web-site:
www.communityarts.net

Erica Yerkey
Project Assistant
Grassroots Ensemble Theatre Research Project (GETRP)
of the Community Arts Network (CAN)
Theatre Arts - PAB 308
Virginia Tech
Blacksburg, VA 24061-0141