Transfering material to digital formats: Good ifdea or not ?

I am a student at the School of Library, Archival and Information Science in the University of British Columbia. I am a writing a final paper for one of my classes on the issues relating to the transfer of material (textual, and especially audiovisual material) to digital formats.

I was hoping that you might, in light of your experince, share with me your point of view on this question. Mainly addressing the pros and cons (issues relating to the stability of the format, integrity, authenticity, keeping the masters or not, etc.) and why an institution would choose to digitize their collection.

If you are not the right person to talk to, I apologize for the inconvenience. I would greatly appreciate if you forwarded my email to someone who could help me.

Thank you very much for your help.

Best regards,

Claire Veisseire

School of Library, Archival and Information Science
University of British Columbia
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Phone: (604) 221-4655