Re: American nurses in Spanish Civil War

   The Abraham Lincoln Brigade Archive (ALBA) is held by Tamiment Library/Robert F. Wagner Labor Archives at Bobst Library of New York University.  This is the largest collection of material about American participation, specifically including nurses, in the International Brigades in support of the Republican government during the Spanish Civil War.  Also, Tamiment/Wagner is one of the major repositories in the U.S. of material about labor unions and the labor movement.
    Contact Gail Malmgreen, Associate Head for Archival Collections:  malmgrng@elmer4.bobst.nyu.edu

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, March 29, 2001 9:53 AM
Subject: American nurses in Spanish Civil War

Good morning--

A researcher has contacted me looking for information about American nurses who went to Spain during the Spanish Civil War (1936-39). Evidently only around 80 women went, most of whom were nurses. Her research has revealed that many of these women were active union members. She could not find any details about this union affiliation.

Does anyone know of any repositories that might have holdings that contain information about any of these women, or their union affiliations? She is also trying to find photos of them if she can.

A few of their names are:

Esther Silverstein Blanc
Eileen Golden Spiegel
Saleria Key (trained at Harlem Hospital, graduated 1934)
Lini (Lanie?) De Vries Fuhr

Any suggestions about where to look will be greatly appreciated! Please respond to me, and I will forward the information on to her.

Thank you,
   Amalia Gossen

Amalia K. Gossen, MA, MLS
Archivist, Bellevue Alumnae Center for Nursing History
agossen@FoundationNYSNurses.org

Foundation of the New York State Nurses Association
Veronica M. Driscoll Center for Nursing
2113 Western Avenue - Suite 1
Guilderland, New York 12084-9559
Tel: 518-456-7858 ext. 24   FAX: 518-452-3760
http://www.FoundationNYSNurses.org