academic verification question.

Hello:

     For several months I have been attempting to verify whether an
individual did in fact graduate from the Ohio State University College
of Medicine.

     Previously the Admissions Office had informed us that he never
attended said college.  This morning I again contacted the admissions
department for the Ohio State University College of Medicine to verify
yet again that they had not made an error with their records.  My
intention was to then request in writing verification of their
statements as this matter is very serious.

     I have now been informed that unless this individual provides
written authorization to release this information the college is unable
to verify attendance as per the attorney of the Ohio State University
College of Medicine.

     My question is:  As this is verification of an M.D.'s college
attendance and graduation only that is being requested and he has
publicly posted this information at numerous locations why is it a
privacy issue to verify said statements?

Vickie Travis