Security and Locks

Hello all,

We are fortunate to be well into the planning stages for renovating a whole
stack floor for materials (such as rare books and manuscripts) which most
need special environmental conditions.  One of the many issues that we are
considering is the type of locking mechanisms we want for the doors into the
"controlled" area.  Our wish list includes:

1.  An electronic card key and/or key pad entry, preferably one that records
who entered when.

2.  The ability to use a manual key override when the power is out or the
electronic system fails.  (This has already been a problem in other areas in
our building which use a card key.  When the system went on the blink they
couldn't get into their space until it was repaired.)

We are currently using Medco mechanical locks but we are looking for
something more sophisticated for the renovated space.  Does anyone have any
recommendations or experiences along these lines that they would share?

Many thanks,
Lynn Stewart
Lynn Jones Stewart
Special Collections