Re: Security and Locks

Lynn,

Dare I ask why you want something more sophisticated?  Given the increasing
complexity of modern technology, and therefore its increasing propensity to
break down, I don't see any great benefit to having electronic access as
opposed to keys.  A few concerns:

1) the system goes down, as you already mentioned;
2) people forgetting the pass code (how many computer passwords have we all
got these days);
3) arranging to permit access - somebody has to program the system when your
new employee/intern/volunteer shows up;
4) removing access from former employees/interns;
5) said people giving the passcode to unauthorized users

There are probably other issues I'm not thinking of.  My feeling is, if it
ain't broke...  You can control access better with regular keys (i.e. only a
set person has keys, and one set left at a reference desk so you know who's
got 'em), and simple mechanical items tend to be more reliable than
computers of any sort.

You didn't mention much beyond keeping track of who enters the space - are
there any other issues that make the electronic locks more valuable?  Much
like our discussions on digitization, I think it's a good idea to clarify
why you want to move into technology before jumping in.

Just my 2 cents, as always.

DS

Daniel Sokolow, Archives Coordinator
David Taylor Archives
North Shore-Long Island Jewish Health System
155 Community Drive
Great Neck, NY 11021
mailto:dsokolow@nshs.edu