Exhibit Announcement

Forthcoming exhibit at Washington University in St. Louis
Carole Prietto

The Department of Special Collections wishes to inform you of an upcoming
exhibition entitled, "Architectonic Fixations:  Photographs From the
Collection of Russell Sturgis."

Join us as we examine select 19th century photographic prints of
architectural and sculptural gems from cities and archaeological sites
across the world from a remarkable collection of over 15,000 items.

Celebrated American architect, architectural historian, and critic Russell
Sturgis (1836-1909) amassed perhaps one of the most thoroughly exhaustive
collections of 19th century architectural photographs from the most highly
praised photographers and photographic editors of his time.

A new selection of prints will be on display every two weeks.

25 May to 31 July 2001
Department of Special Collections
Olin Library, 5th Floor
Monday Through Friday, 8:30 to 5:00

340 images from the collection can be seen on our web site:
http://library.wustl.edu/units/spec/archives/guides/sturgis.html