Re: Civil War Bullets

Steve,

 I see you've gotten alot of suggestions but I thought I'd address a relate a
similar experience of my own.  (I can only address my own experience with
this stuff, and it wasn't a bullet.)

My family's from northern Virginia where the fighting was constant for the
entire length of the war, and we still find bullets, etc, when the fields get
plowed.  For as long as I can remember there was an artillery shell used as
the doorstop in the kitchen.  When I was about thirteen someone got to
looking at it and realized that it had never been deactivated (or
whatever...) so we just took it to the military installation about forty
minutes away and got it checked out.  As we figured, it was a dud, but it
still felt good knowing so.  Yes, they gave us our doorstop back and it
wasn't a big hassle or anything.

My suggestion would be to have it checked out.  It wasn't a big deal, but it
was a relief!

Holly Hodges
(at home in Virginia, where we still plow the fields without blowing up and
the house may have a bit of "lean" -- but that's normal for an old frame
house with only half a foundation!)