Re: Security and Locks

Daniel wrote:
>A few concerns:
>1) the system goes down, as you already mentioned;
Generally there is a manual override or the security system operates on a
separately powered circuit. If power goes out your facilities should have
some sort of back up power system available.

>2) people forgetting the pass code (how many computer passwords have we all
got these days);
Most access systems operate on a keycard system either one using a magnetic
stripe similar to a credit card or a system that reads the card without
having to "swipe" the card. This system can even read the card through a
purse. Seen it happen. So no password is required. Policy is that all must
wear their badge which should also be a photo ID.

>3) arranging to permit access - somebody has to program the system when
your
new employee/intern/volunteer shows up;
Systems are easily programmed and all varieties of access levels are
available. Adding someone new only takes a few minutes and should be part of
the new staff orientation program. Most institutions have a security force
on staff it would be their responsibility.

>4) removing access from former employees/interns;
Much easier to do than to try and collect keys. "oh I lost the keys". Also
keys are easily copied unless they are marked "do not copy."

>5) said people giving the passcode to unauthorized users
Don't use a system that requires a keypad. That prevents the passing on of
that information.

The advantages of an electronic system is that it can track who entered a
secure area.. In today's archives the material being held is increasing in
value everyday. I just finished reading a book about a map thief and the
value of the materials he stole. Christine mentioned another book yesterday
"A Gentle Madness" which also contains information on book and manuscript
thefts.

A RAIN posting within the last 60 days concerned thefts from archives and
libraries. Finally you must look at your organization. What level of
security will your material require? How secure do you wish your facility to
be? don't totally depend upon the security system as a thief will find a way
around it somehow?

Peter A. Kurilecz CRM, CA
Manager, Records Management Group
Woodside Summit Group Inc