Baked Goods, Baker, etc.

I loved nothing so much as Grandma's hot cross buns, and helping to spread the icing over the little crosses.  The storebought refrigerated dough just isn't the same.  And I have an obligation to make beignets for a friend this weekend, too.  So I'll have to break out the apron and get dusted in flour.  The recipe I found in my g-g-grandmother's household book is difficult to follow,  and I'm very glad for Grandma teaching me as a child, or I'd never get it right, or is it "write?"  Actually, the handwriting I can manage, it's the business of "half a wineglass of milk" stuff that's problematic.  I think the measurements were different.

Nicholson's understanding of the USNP is perhaps a bit, uh, off the mark?  The journalism historians I've worked with think it's the cat's meow, or some equivalent.  While they aren't great lovers of microfilm, they understand the need to reduce wear and provide a wider access than one ever could with the real thing.  But we all find that there's nothing like the real thing, and I loved getting out the real thing for them to "worship/celebrate/adore" whenever I could reasonably accommodate.

My impression is that newspapers identified through the NEH USNP is catalogued in OCLC.  And many libraries these days have purchased "Firstsearch" and "Worldcat" two OCLC products that are essentially read-only public versions of OCLC.  Granted, there's some things that you can't do in Worldcat that you can do in the dedicated technical services version, e.g., identify the original cataloguing institution.  (Okay, I can't figure out how, so if you know how, please let me in on the secret.  The 040 doesn't show in Worldcat.)

Janet, even if y'all don't yet have the fancy databases other states have for their NP projects, the catalogue records in OCLC still make the project's work available.

I keep thinking there was something else I was going to say.

Holly Hodges