Re: Correcting a dissertation?

        This was a long time ago, but I believe that it is the practice to permit
or require corrections in the dissertation depending upon what comments are
made during the defense of the dissertation before the committee.

        Is the library copy the "copy of record"? In many universities, the
university archives holds the original or "copy of record" and second or
third copies are available in a reading room or in the academic department
concerned.

        If the student has secured the graduate school's permission (as you say he
has) and has again obtained the (original) signatures of his committee, then
I would say OK.

Edwin Southern, Ph.D  (esouthern@ncsl.dcr.state.nc.us)
Head, State and University Records Unit
Department of Cultural Resources