Re: Account books, day books, ledgers, journals...

Adrienne,

> My question is: What is the difference between account books, day books,
> journals, ledgers, etc.?  If possible could you please clarify for me
> the difference in these different types of books or direct me
> to someone or something that can?  Sincerely, Adrienne Marrah

Allow me to suggest:

 Christopher Densmore, "Understanding and Using Early Nineteenth Century
Account Books," The Midwestern Archivist (Vol. V, No. 1), 1980, pp. 5-19.

I have found it to be very useful, and keep it bookmarked on my reference
shelf.

Mark

Mark Stauter
Western Historical Manuscript Collection-Rolla
University of Misouri-Rolla
mstauter@umr.edu