Re: privacy question

ust to expand the geographic range of views on privacy issues, let me add that privacy most definitely does extend beyond death in Canada.

In Ontario, "personal information" (address, birth date, employment record, etc.) found in government records - but not non-government records - cannot be made accessible until 30 years after death.  In Quebec, I believe that private records are covered as well as government records (but I'm not conversant with Quebec legislation).  In Ontario, some archives apply, or try to apply, the same principles to private records, and do not make them available without severing "p.i." until 30 years after death, or about 90 - 100 years after creation.  Researchers wishing to see and use the records can sign a research agreement under which they agree not to identify individuals.  They can, however, do such useful things as generate statistics or create anonymous case studies.

Sally Gibson (Toronto)

 Sally Gibson
     Archivist

     City of Toronto Archives
     255 Spadina Road
     Toronto, Ontario
     Canada  M5R 2V3

    tel.:      (416) 392-5561
    fax:      (416) 392-9685
    email:  sgibson0@city.toronto.on.ca

>>> Jackson Armstrong-Ingram <JAI@GTY.CI.HENDERSON.NV.US> 04/18/01 12:52pm >>>
In the particular case referenced, there is no legal privacy issue: He's dead.  It is quite settled that in the US legal privacy does not extend post-mortem.

As to the issue of a guardianship, that would be a matter of public record.

It is a common practice with records such as these to make them available on proof of the death of the individual concerned.  It is also common to set a time period (70 years or more) after which there will be a presumption that individuals are dead and the records are open.

R. Jackson Armstrong-Ingram, C.A.
Archives and Records Administrator
Office of the City Clerk
City Archives and Records Division