Re: privacy question

Many thanks to the several people who responded to my question about privacy of records.  Here is a general tally of the issues discussed. Note that these responses come from the U.S.  Canadian records are mentioned below.
Apparently Canadian regulations are much broader than those in the U.S.  Those regulations restrict records with personal information until 30 years after death, ca. 90-100 years after creation.  The records can be used before this to generate statistics or anonymous case studies after the researcher signs a research agreement promising the records will be kept anonymous.

It appears we will be relatively safe if we do not give out employment records until the person is dead, or 70-some years after the record was last updated.  To be really safe, we should delete the SS number.  I plan to check with the state of Wisconsin to see if I should be aware of other restrictions.

Again, many thanks for your collective wisdom.

Erin Foley
Archivist
Circus World Museum
550 Water Street