Fw: DVD's successor

Subject: DVD's successor

An article under this title is on Page 35 of the May Pop Sci.

It says that, "the next generation in recording technology is only a few years away.  Holographic data storage, developed by Longmont, Colorado based InPhase Technologies promises dramatic improvements in storage capacity and transfer rates," etc.

Though we have been led down this path of primroses before, this present idea has been in the wind for some time now.  There may actually be some substance here.  They're a segment of Lucent.  It's always possible that Lucent's financial woes may get in the way of speedy development.

If this has any reasonable viability, the direction some seem to be taking toward very large computer memories as the storage medium may be ill-advised.

InPhase assumes the use of a 5.25" disc. The size of the disc imposes capacity limitations that may be artificial except for the comfort of it being a present "standard."  Even so, it anticipates it will hold more than 400 GB of data.

Does anyone know how much space an uncompressed hour of US videotape requires?  How much a similar length of uncompressed 35mm color film?  How long does a long but not ridiculously long film actually run?  It seems to me we should now be thinking from the top down and establish a measure to guide future developments, this process or the next.  A film or video equivalent to the Beethoven 9th, used during the design of the CD, should be established before things become frozen.

Steven Smolian    301-694-5134
Smolian Sound Studios
CDs made from old recordings,
Five or one or lifetime hoardings,