Re: Hollywood film crews (warning: semi-rant!)

Roy Webb wrote:

> but I feel a rant about film crews coming on.

O.K., I'm going to stray a long way from archives now, but it's Friday
afternoon so I'm going to request a little slack.

If you're ever in the very nice town of Mount Dora, Florida, ask one of the
old-timers about the time that The Director/Genius John ("Billy Liar,"
"Darling," "Far From the Madding Crowd," Sunday, Bloody Sunday," "Midnight
Cowboy," "Day of the Locust," "Marathon Man, " "Yanks") Schlesinger blew
into town with a huge cast and crew to film "Honky Tonk Freeway," a
miserable piece of junk that few of you have ever heard of, much less seen.
Schlesinger never remotely approached his previous status after that
hydrogen-class bomb.

To make a long story short (as the saying goes, they should have filmed the
deal, not the lousy script), the Director/Genius persuaded the town fathers
to paint the entire downtown in monochrome shocking pink, for a scene that
lasted perhaps five seconds after the final cut.

The next Director/Genius who blows into town had better be a smooth talker
of clintonian proportions.

Mark Stauter
Western Historical Manuscript Collection-Rolla
mstauter@umr.edu