Re: Hollywood film crews

One should never rant online; I know that everyone has different
experiences dealing with film crews and everything else.  But it is
Friday.

I meant to relate another story of this, however.  My nephew used
to live in Casper, Wyoming.  While he was there, the movie
STARSHIP TROOPERS was filmed nearby, in the Red Desert
which is south of town some distance.  However, since Casper is
the only city of any size at all in the state, it was the center for the
crews.  According to Rodger, and others I know who live there, the
film crew really treated the people like yokels, carousing, insulting
the women, and in general being as obnoxious as it's possible to
be.  Suffice to say when filming wrapped up, the citizens of Casper
were very glad to see them leave, no matter the economic benefits.

So a bunch of film crew were in the airport, getting ready to leave,
and were asked the usual questions about security.  One of them
quipped "we've sure got a bomb in the can here," or something like
that, meaning of course the film itself was a bomb (which it was).
The person at the counter, aware of who they were and how badly
they had behaved in town, said "Well!  In that case, I'm calling the
sherriff and the bomb squad!" which resulted in the whole crew
being detained, missing their flights, being searched, and so on.
They violated one of Roy's Rules of Life: never joke with people who
have badges and guns.

And no one besides me in Utah uses the word "furlushinger" that I
know of; I got it from a mis-spent youth reading MAD magazine.

Roy

Roy Webb, C.A.
Multimedia Archivist
Special Collections