Re: OCLC vs. RLIN

Yhis seems to be taking a different direction from where I first thought it
was going--but for those interested in the preservation field (okay, its
really "Action Note," it's 583 and the MARC Homepage has a link to coding
the 583 for preservation.

On another note (no pun intended) the Action Note field is not necessarily
restricted to preservation actions--there was some discussion that
archivists might create their own thesaurus of actions to be used in that
field--it could be especially helpful in a records scheduling situation
since it allows for time specified, contingency time frames.

Retrieval of this info. in a catalogue depends on such things as the ILMS
you're using--I've seen several systems demonstrateded that allow for
generating reports searching specific subfields in just about any field...

Of course, searching OCLC and RLIN, as Harrison asks, is a different
ballgame!

Holly Hodges

On Mon, 23 Apr 2001 09:37:20 -0400, Christine Crawford-Oppenheimer
<c_crawfo@CULINARY.EDU> wrote:

>I'm not sure where you were looking in the OCLC record, but in individual
serials holding records, there is a field to indicate preservation status
for the material described in that particular holding statement. It has been
just long enough since I worked with these records that I can't remember
exactly where it appears in the holding statement. I also don't know if
there is a way easily to pull up all preservation information for all
holdings statements on a particular record.

>OCLC had a manual specifically describing how to input preservation
information in a record which you could probably get a copy of if you don't
have it already.