Re: OCLC vs. RLIN

I'm not sure where you were looking in the OCLC record, but in individual serials holding records, there is a field to indicate preservation status for the material described in that particular holding statement. It has been just long enough since I worked with these records that I can't remember exactly where it appears in the holding statement. I also don't know if there is a way easily to pull up all preservation information for all holdings statements on a particular record.

OCLC had a manual specifically describing how to input preservation information in a record which you could probably get a copy of if you don't have it already.

From: Wick, Charles Harrison [mailto:cwick@INDIANA.EDU]
Sent: Wednesday, April 18, 2001 3:55 PM
To: ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU
Subject: OCLC vs. RLIN

Greetings to all,

I've been doing working on research for several future microfilm grants, and
have found microfilm done to archival standards (1985 and up) in RLIN, but
not OCLC, and wanted to know if there was any information regarding the
percent of holdings in RLIN compared with those in OCLC; and determine if it
is necessary to check both to find out if a film as been made.

Thanks,

Harrison Wick
NEH Microfilm Project
Indiana University - Preservation