Re: Baker

I of course think the appropriate response to Mr. Baker is to send him all
the original newspapers that libraries and archives have microfilmed and can
not store-- he'd get a good dose of the space issues we deal with every day.
He wants the originals, so let's bombard him with them!

Seriously, I do think preserving originals is important but the truth is not
all copies of the same original newspaper should be preserved.  If Mr.
Baker's book causes more libraries/archives to think before they toss, it's
a good thing.  If his book also causes libraries/archives to work together
so that one copy of every original is preserved, without so much overlap
that it becomes detrimental to the institution and its available storage
space, then that's good too.

Just my 2 cents.

Sammie Morris
Archivist