plaques, plaques everywhere

As we prepared to open our new hospital facility 2 years ago, we began to
acquire a large number of plaques from our older buildings (separate
hospitals until 1972) that were being vacated.  Although a number were
relocated to the new building, including a public space "history wall," our
foundation office and the archives are presently storing hundreds of varying
size, shape and weight from individuals, families, support organizations,
alumni, corporations and anonymous "grateful patients." The foundation is
considering a plan to offer the plaques back to the donors where feasible,
but I'm concerned that this might not send the right message in addition to
the logistical nightmare of a project of this size.  Surely some of you must
have faced similar situations - any ideas on what we might do with them as
an alternative to the either/or of storing or returning?

Thanks from "over by dere" in Chicago,

Sue Sacharski
Archivist
Northwestern Memorial Hospital
312.926.3090  fax: 312.926-6957
329 West 18th Street - Suite 901
Chicago, IL 60616-1120
ssachars@nmh.org <mailto:Ssachars@nmh.org>

For more information on Northwestern Memorial Hospital,
please visit our website at http://www.nmh.org <http://www.nmh.org>