image cataloguing software

Hi, all.  I'm looking for information about digital image cataloguing.  I'm a novice in the area and only have superficial familiarity with it because it is peripheral to my job as a historian.  Our records management people have asked me for input, however.

I know aspects of this have been discussed before on the List but I am new to the subject.  My federal agency is moving increasingly to digital photography and is starting, perhaps belatedly, to look at software to catalogue the images.  As a historian who also gets involved in some archival issues, I have two areas of concern.  (1) how to provide sufficient incentives for customers to provide identifying information at the front end about the photo shoots they request; and (2) how to find software that works best for providing intellectual control over digitally archived images.