Retail Potential

The following message comes from the UK archives-nra listserv. The individual
is not a subscriber to this list SOOOO please respond directly  or at least
copy if replying to this list. The email address is below

Peter Kurilecz
pakurilecz@aol.com
Your advice please:

I am investigating whether it is feasible, from a financial
perspective, and potentially successful, from a profile-raising
perspective, to consider producing merchandise based on the
unique and rare images in the rare books, archives and
manuscripts based in the Special Collections at the University of
Leeds. This is a busy Special Collections department operating as
part of a large multi-site university library.

I would be very grateful to hear from colleagues in the archives and
library sector with experience of retail based on their collections. I'd
be especially interested in learning from you about the scope of
your enterprise, about your perception of factors determining its
success, or perhaps lack of success, and in any overview of
financial implications (actual or hidden costs for eg) or insights that
you are willing to share.

I have found the Museums and Galleries Commission report on
Creative Industry (1999) very helpful, but am keen to hear first hand
accounts on or off list. Or indeed to hear about other publications
that might be useful in this investigation. I'll share a summary of
comments with the list in due course. With thanks, Jess Gardner
Jessica Gardner
lib6jpg@LIBRARY.NOVELL.LEEDS.AC.UK
Special Collections
Brotherton Library