Re: Ethics in Archives

Russell & Colleagues:

The Census cutoff date was the most convenient benchmark (without the added
requirement of proof of death) that turned up in answers to an earlier query
I made to this list regarding access to educational records vs. FERPA.   Do
you know if any of your contacts had a good legal opinion for using 72 years
for medical records, or were they simply going out on the wing of an
analogy?

Steven

Steven Allan Brown
Head, University Archives & Records Management
Hargrett Library
Main Library
University of Georgia
Athens, GA  30602
sabrown@arches.uga.edu

"I am not sorry to hear of the removal of Prof. M.  I wish him well for what
he has been, - and for his present merits - but as his principles are
contagious, it will be best for him I think to go where they can do no harm,
as in Georgia he will find Jacobins formed to his hand-and who are past
being polluted."

- Jedidiah Morse on the departure of Josiah Meigs to assume the presidency
of the University of Georgia, 1801