Re: RAIN 5/10: Burst Pipe Inundates NASA Photo Archives

Peter wrote:
"I know 20-20 hindsight is always the best, but it is examples like this
that
should be examined carefully and then look at your current set-up. How many
out there know if water pipes are running directly over their material?"

All too often, it seems that collections, archival & museum, get relegated
to the attics & basements of institutions even though we all know those tend
to be the worst places to be. NASA is probably just like many other
institutions - their focus is more on developing space programs (something
they are there to do) and therefore treat archives as just a place to keep
stuff that basically takes care of itself. (Please note, this is not dogging
NASA, just an observation of several varying institutions.) In other words,
many places - historical institutions included - tend to focus on the areas
that bring in the money. Let's face it... collections don't bring in the
money they are looking for. :) So, the archivist at NASA probably did what
we all do... provide the 'powers-that-be' with the laundry list of things
that need to be done or improved upon in order to maintain the security &
longevity of the collection. And, like many of us, that archivist probably
was pushed to the back burner until now - when a high-profile accident
occurs.

It's terrible this accident happened, but it's almost to be expected. We've
just had numerous discussions on this list about how archives/archivists are
perceived by the general public, as well as issues of preservation. One of
the main counters in the Baker discussion was that we do not live in an
ideal world.

Maybe this article on NASA (along with ones from the Boston Public Library
flooding a few years ago, and others) will be helpful tools for managers of
collections to take to their 'powers-that-be' to facilitate the much-needed
change they have advocated all along. :)

Sorry for the babbling. In all reality, I'm so enjoying the beautiful day
out here in NE Ohio!!
Bridgette

Bridgette A. Kelly, Special Collections Manager
Stan Hywet Hall & Gardens, Inc.
714 N. Portage Path
Akron, OH  44303
ph: 330-315-3232     fax: 330-836-2680