Re: Reasons to wear gloves/Friday Funnies candidate

Peter,

You wouldn't believe the condition of some of these manuals. Besides oil,
grease, dirt and handprints, there's water damage,  occasional bird (or ??)
droppings, shredded pages,
lost (or, just as much fun, illegible) covers and destroyed bindings. Every
so often we get a box of manuals that reek of exhaust fumes, evidently from
being stored for years in an attic or loft above where engines were tested.

A lot are in loose leaf format in report covers or in binders ranging from
three to nine rings. Of course, many of those pages have ripped loose from
the binders. In some cases, such documents are sometimes rebound by the
donor or whoever he got it from; so far, I've encountered improvised
bindings using steel wire, duct tape, electrical tape, masking tape,
electrical wire (with or without the insulation) and, my favorite, various
combinations of nuts and bolts. Many of the loose-leaf manuals also have
pages inserted in odd pages; usually these pages are updates, but sometimes
they are just there for no apparent reason, having nothing whatever to do
with the document itself..

We have hundreds of manuals in this condition, and I constantly have to wash
my hands after doing anything with them. I had to take one to Kinko's to
have a copy made, and they had to wash the copier glass when I got done
because of the mess it left. Needless to say, as soon as I get a cleaner
copy of one of these conservation nightmares, the original is removed from
the active collections and either made available for our shop or disposed
of.

Best wishes,

Thomas Berry, Archivist
Historical Construction Equipment Association
16623 Liberty Hi Road
Bowling Green, Ohio 43402
Phone 419-352-5616
Fax 419-352-6086