Re: NATIONAL ARCHIVES RELEASES RESEARCHER TOPICS LIST

The release of research topics, if they are precisely worded rather than generalized, breaches confidentiality between researcher and archives.  It's an ethical no-no.  I'm particularly sensitive to this issue, because I am working on a book (in my spare time) and live in terror of being "scooped" by someone else hearing of my research topic, which is eminently scoopable.

I imagine that PhD students and anyone considering publication would prefer to be asked if their topic could be published.  (Reference staff are generally instructed never to tell one researcher what another researcher is working on and only puts the two together after consulting each.  This is slightly different, but is a reflection of how careful archivists and librarians must be with the information they receive.)

Did you  consider this aspect of making topics public?

If you did generalize them, rather than present them verbatim, please excuse my concerns.

Sally Gibson (Toronto)

>>> Michael Ravnitzky <mikerav@IX.NETCOM.COM> 05/14/01 09:38pm >>>
NATIONAL ARCHIVES RELEASES RESEARCHER TOPICS LIST
by Michael Ravnitzky , mikerav@ix.netcom.com

The National Archives has quickly and efficiently released an electronic
copy of the list of research topics as gathered during the registration of
patrons.  This is only a list of research topics --- the names and other
identifying information about the researchers themselves has been stripped
out.  Still, it makes fascinating reading and gives a good overview of one
of the primary uses to which our greatest national treasure is being put.

The list of research topics, encompassing about 16,000 records is in a large
but manageable Microsoft Excel spreadsheet, I would be happy to send by
email to anyone who is interested.

I also have obtained another Excel Spreadsheet with the user statistics,
such as records pulls, photocopies, film duplication, etc. for the National
Archives for the past six months.  I will also send a copy of this second
spreadsheet by email to anyone who wants a copy.

While mentioning this, I would also like to praise the fantastic facility
and staff at Archives II in College Park, Maryland, which I have had a
couple of opportunities to use.

If you want a copy of either or both of these interesting spreadsheets, DO
NOT HIT RETURN, instead send me a note at

mjr@amlaw.com

Michael Ravnitzky