University Archives Photograph Collections

This is primarily a question for other University Archivists.  We are
beginning to re-organize our collection of University photographs, and
I'm interested to know how people organize their collections.  Topical?
Departmental?  Chronological?  What broad series classifications do you
use?  What would be the most unusual aspect of the organization of your
photo collection?

Direction to online finding aids, digitized collections and other
information would be much appreciated.

If you respond off-list, I'll be glad to summarize.

Many thanks for your advice -- Amy Cooper

Assistant Professor Amy Cooper
Archivist/Special Collections Librarian
I. D. Weeks Library
The University of South Dakota