Re: indexing with Access

Lisa - Will the subject field be the same for ALL entries in the database?
If so, set a default value in that field.  If not, just use the ditto
function  to carry the subject value over to the next entry.  You can also
have the IT folks set up the subject field with a pull-down menu, so if you
have 3 or 4 subjects that repeat regularly, you can pick at choose when you
need to.   hope this helps - ttfn - Jill.

Jill L Schneider
USGS - Alaska Technical Data Unit
907-786-7457
jschnidr@usgs.gov
http://tundra.wr.usgs.gov/wrmrsAK/

                    Lisa May
                    <LMAY@DIOGH.ORG>            To:     ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU
                    Sent by: Archives &         cc:
                    Archivists                  Subject:     indexing with Access
                    <ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.M
                    UOHIO.EDU>

                    05/16/2001 05:28 AM
                    Please respond to
                    Lisa May

Just playing around yesterday, I created a db with four fields:
- subject
- headline/brief description of article
- date
- date 2 - for follow-up articles.

I don't need a title field, because all the articles are from our diocesan
paper.

I need to talk to our IS people, since I've only taken one workshop on
Access - I'm hoping there's a way to link multiple headlines to one subject
field (i.e., the name of a parish church) - because right now I am entering
that subject each time.  but that may just be how Access is set up.

Lisa

Archivist
Diocese of Galveston-Houston