Newspaper clippings in scrapbooks

        We have copied large numbers of news clippings over the years onto
alkaline paper
with identification and then discarded the originals.  I enjoyed the list's
further tips on good
copying and the usefulness of saving newspaper photographs.
        On the scrapbook situation.  It really depends on the type of
scrapbook.  We had
a couple of books of nothing but news clippings a few years ago where the
clippings were
pasted in on pre-glued pages, made for overlapping columns.  After
identifying and marking
the clippings, a staff member (a saint) worked with a small steaming tool to
remove all
clippings from the books and then photocopied them to place in folders.
        We would never do that in more complex scrapbooks that hold a
variety of
materials.  For one set of scrapbooks with multiple-paged pamphlets,
ribbons, medals,
news clippings, original letters, etc., all arranged the way the author
wanted them, we
microfilmed the volumes.  Each page was filmed as many times as it took to
capture
every surface available.

Elizabeth W. Knowlton
Manuscripts Curator
Georgia Dept. of Archives and History
330 Capitol Avenue SE
Atlanta, GA  30307
404-656-2397

>I would be interested in hearing more about this. I have a number of
newspaper clippings, and although I agree that keeping the original as long
as possible and making a copy on acid free paper is the right thing to do,
the clippings are frequently much larger than my copier. In addition, many
others are glued into a scrapbook which is impossible to get onto the
copier, not to mention some of them overlap, so I would have to fold the
ones on top to make copies of the ones further down. Anyone have any bright
ideas?
Barbara M. Pope, M.L.S.
Reference Librarian
O.J. Cloughly Alumni Library