Re: Please excuse this rant, raving, thing that I have going on today, but I'm very tired and cranky, BU

I was wondering when someone was going to finally say
something about this! At my former place of employment I can't
count the number of "precious" newsclipping collections I
photocopied. They drove me up the wall! Good rant, I say.

Roiann M. Baird
James A. Michener-Endowed Archivist
James A. Michener Library
University of Northern Colorado
Greeley, CO 80639-0091

Is it me, or do people not understand that printed materials
(including
newspapers) are not primary sources?????
Unless it's one of a kind, unique, etc. it's secondary????
I must be missing something, but, the point of a newspaper is to
reach A
LOT of people at once, it's printed, it's secondary???? Yes???

I understand that people seem all fuzzy and cuddley towards
newspaper
clippings (why, i can't figure out!) but if you ask me, if you're that
fuzzy and happy with clippings, what do you feel about original
manuscripts and unique documents????  Come see our original
photos,
correspondence, diaries, scrapbooks, and memorabilia, then get
all gushy,
leave the newsclips out of the picture as far as I'm concerned!!!!!

--Geri Solomon