From: "Geri E. Solomon" <Geri.E.Solomon@HOFSTRA.EDU>
To: <ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU>
Sent: Wednesday, May 16, 2001 4:33 PM
Subject: Please excuse this rant, raving, thing that I have going on today,
but I'm very tired and cranky, BU

> Please excuse this rant, raving, thing that I have going on today, but I'm
very tired and cranky, BUT....

> Is it me, or do people not understand that printed materials (including
newspapers) are not primary sources?????
> Unless it's one of a kind, unique, etc. it's secondary????
> I must be missing something, but, the point of a newspaper is to reach A
LOT of people at once, it's printed, it's secondary???? Yes???

> I understand that people seem all fuzzy and cuddley towards newspaper
clippings (why, i can't figure out!) but if you ask me, if you're that fuzzy
and happy with clippings, what do you feel about original manuscripts and
unique documents????  Come see our original photos, correspondence, diaries,
scrapbooks, and memorabilia, then get all gushy, leave the newsclips out of
the picture as far as I'm concerned!!!!!