Re: Please excuse this rant, raving,thing that I have going on t oday, but I'm very tired and cranky,BU

I think it is untenable to argue that intact newspapers are not primary sources, but one could argue that newspaper clippings are  "mutilated" primary sources that have lost some of their original context, which makes them less valuable as original primary sources.  In the case of newspaper clippings intermixed with personal papers or other manuscript collections, preserving the information contained within the clipping may be more important than saving the original (unless the clipping contains an image that will not transfer well, or if you plan to use in an exhibit, or if you feel the original newspaper clippings add something to your understanding of the collection as whole).

I think one should also consider how the collection may be used by researchers, as what's considered a secondary source in one historical study/argument may be primary in another.

Heather Willever-Farr
Electronic Records Archivist
American College of Physicians - American Society of Internal Medicine
190 N. Independence Mall West
Philadelphia, PA 19106-1572
hwillever-farr@mail.acponline.org
(w) 215-351-2470